Advance your career as an Associate Civil/Electrical/Mechanical Engineer with an industry-leading water and wastewater utility. The current opening is in the Construction Division, part of East Bay Municipal Utility District’s (EBMUD’s) Engineering Department. Reporting to a Senior Engineer, Associate Engineer is the registered professional engineer level position on EBMUD’s engineering career ladder.
The Associate Engineer in this section is responsible for administering and managing construction contracts related to water transmission, treatment, storage, and/or distribution projects. This individual will serve as construction manager for complex projects involving multiple disciplines, including civil, mechanical, pipeline, HVAC, structural, architectural, geotechnical, electrical, and/or instrumentation and control elements. Specific responsibilities may include:
• Managing multiple small to large construction projects performed by outside contractors to meet goals and to deliver quality results within budget and on schedule.
• Coordinating and reviewing the work of other engineers, support staff, and consultants on projects.
• Developing and reviewing specifications, bidding documents, cost estimates, project status reports, and other related documents and correspondence.
• Working closely with EBMUD public affairs staff and representing EBMUD in public meetings during the construction phase.
• Working closely with design staff during the preparation of specifications and drawings to provide constructability reviews.
• Attending pre-bid conferences to explain project objectives, drawings, and specifications to contractors and subcontractors.
• Reviewing contractor progress payments, change orders, requests for information, and other key contract documents.
• Evaluating and negotiating change orders.
• Coordinating the work of the division with other work groups within EBMUD and with other agencies and organizations outside EBMUD.
• Using computer programs and other applications for construction contract administration.
• Keeping current with new developments and legislation related to civil engineering, construction methods, water and wastewater systems, contract administration, construction cost estimating, and other relevant areas.
• Preparing consultant work scopes, and negotiating and administering consultant contracts.
• Reviewing contractor baseline schedules and updates.
The ideal candidate will have experience managing construction projects in a construction manager role; a thorough knowledge of current construction practices and methods; excellent project management skills; strong oral and written communication skills; a proven record of preparing, negotiating, administering consultant and other contracts and agreements; and experience working with others on major construction projects including contractors, technicians, field staff, outside agency staff, the general public, and others.
The salary range is $10,455 per month increasing to $10,978, $11,527, $12,103, and $12,708 after 6, 18, 30, and 42 months, respectively.
EBMUD offers an excellent benefits program that includes: paid vacation, holidays and sick leave; family health insurance coverage; family dental and vision care plans; retirement plan (reciprocal with CalPERS); 401(k), 401(a) and 457(b) tax-deferred retirement plans; transit subsidy; tuition reimbursement; and opportunities for professional growth including training and career development.
1. A bachelor’s degree in an ABET-accredited civil, electrical, or mechanical or closely related engineering curriculum OR a California EIT Certificate.
2. Four years of professional civil, electrical, or mechanical engineering experience (subsequent to obtaining the degree); AND
3. California registration as a Professional Civil, Electrical, or Mechanical Engineer.
4. A valid California driver’s license and a satisfactory driving record.
5. Must be willing to work overtime when needed.
Must possess the physical characteristics to perform the critical and important duties of the position including both office and field duties, exposure to chemicals and oxidizing agents, and maintaining a physical condition necessary for sitting, standing, climbing steep stairs and ladders, or walking for prolonged periods of time.
Submit a completed EBMUD application and the required supplemental question responses online at www.ebmud.com/jobs by 4:30 p.m., Friday, September 11, 2020. Only application materials submitted online during the filing period will be accepted.
EBMUD is an Equal Opportunity Employer: Females/Minorities/Veterans/Disability